Tuesday 31 December 2013

Cream-on-Cream Quilt Blocks


This was the first time I mentioned my Cream on Cream crazy quilt blocks.  I think that I have completed twenty blocks now.  When I posted these photos, I had used a lot of gold metal charms which I am now gradually changing to gold embroidered motifs.  There is no way that I can ever clean the charms if they tarnish without ruining the cream fabrics so they are all coming off to be replaced by various gold threads.

Wednesday 27th July 2005
Cream on cream crazy quilt blocks.
I have been working on culling my stash in the nicest possible way. I had a large box of white, ivory, cream and antique cream coloured fabrics and another large box of antique lace pieces which have been gleaned from old garments, antique shops, eBay purchases and some that have been given to me. It seemed a shame to have them all squashed up together in a box so I am going to make a quilt for our queen size bed. My husband measured out the blocks and decided that I need to have twelve rows of eight blocks - that's ninety-six?? so far, I've completed ten! I should mention that any fabric pieces which appear to be a greyish colour or have what appear to be black threads running through them are in fact cream and threads are metallic gold. I will also do a tiny bit of gold metallic embroidery to liven up some of the blocks. At the moment, I'm not doing any embellishment or embroidery but I'm collecting cream coloured threads including two wooden reels of 1920s Pearsall's rayon embroidery thread. Here are the first four blocks using my favourite pieces of antique lace.


Tuesday 31st Dec 2013
Here are photos of some of the cream blocks. Please ignore the metal charms as they are not staying there.  I am amazed at just how many shades of cream there are - ranging from ivory to deeper shades of milky coffee colour.
Block 1 

Block 2

Block 3

Block 4

Block 5

Block 6

Block 7

Block 8

Block 9

Block 10



6 comments:

  1. absolutely stunned. I've been doing crazy patchwork for 20+ yrs. your work is stunningly beautiful. from lake macquarie nsw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your work is beautiful. I would love to try making a quilt using creams and embroidery but am wondering if any of the methods are shown in books or videos or do you have to try out ideas. I have made quilts but not crazy quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so amazingly beautiful. I would like to make something similar, much less intricate Are these all hand stitches?? I want to do something on the machine. Do you think that would be possible. Do you have any books or anything you used for help??? I haven't found anything helpful in reference to quilting with lace and linen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These blocks are really beautiful. Wish I could make something that amazing. Just starting the idea of quilting and this is probably the most beautiful I have yet seen. Would love to see the entire quilt. Thanks for your inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  5. 6-13-2021
    I've finally started my LACE on linen(old blue embroidered white tablecloth) quilt. I think it'll be about queen size. I have an incredible collection of antique and vintage lace, plus old crocheted lace from the late 1800s and early 1900s from great grand mothers. Not much use for individual pieces, so decided to put them together,create something to pass along. Your posts above give me inspiration.

    ReplyDelete